Monday, April 28, 2008

Camera Obscura

I have been meaning to post this for a while. During our visit to Santa Monica last year I persuaded my reluctant husband to visit the Camera Obscura with me. He wondered what on earth I was getting him into as it's located in a senior center, but in the end he admitted it was pretty cool. It is a pitch dark room with a large, round white table in the middle. There is a periscope on the roof of the building that captures the scene outside. The reverse image of the scene is projected onto the table. The periscope can be turned with a crank, allowing you a 360 degree view of outside. It is located close to the pier, so the projection of the beach was really cool. We both ended up taking some pictures of the projection. The camera obscura was originally used as a drawing aid.